The weather reports continue to send warnings about the dangerously low temperatures and high winds. For up the minute information, go to: www.weather.gov/phi.
During extremely cold weather, the risk for home fires can increase. To avoid fire danger, Rose Tree Fire Company would like to remind you about the following important safety tips:
- Never use a stove or oven to heat the home.
- If using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep it at least three feet away from anything that can burn, such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs.
- Never plug a space heater into an extension cord. Read and follow the manufacturer’s operation instructions.
- If using a fireplace, keep the screen or doors closed to catch sparks and rolling logs. Make sure burning embers are out before going to bed.
- Maintain and operate portable generators in accordance with the manufacturer’s use and safety instructions.
- Never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage. The smoke from a running generator contains carbon monoxide and needs to be properly ventilated.
For anyone that is unable to stay in their home due to the extreme weather conditions, the Red Cross can help. Click here for an updated list of Red Cross shelter locations:http://www.redcross.org/find-help/shelter or you can call the Philadelphia Red Cross chapter at (215) 299-4000.